Capital Punishment for Capital Crimes?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why, yes, I'm a knowledge junkie; why do you ask?


So I've been reading the Constitution of United States. Yes, I'm that crazy at times. I've never really read the thing from beginning to end and have always been curious what all the fuss and fadoodle is all about.
I'm actually surprised.
The handwritten copy of the Constitution is only four pages long. If you go to the wonderful site above, you can actually read a transcripted version. I've found quite a few things that are very, very interesting within the Constitution, some of which is worth conversation in this day and age.
One of the things I found super interesting was Article II, Section I:
"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."
Now, this simple woman may be mistaken, but I read this to be that a Naturalized Citizen or a Resident Citizen, who has been here at least 14 years, can be President of the United States. What? What? How can that be? Say it ain't so, SW!
That's what it says. So, IMHO, let's say I believe that our current President was NOT born in the United States. Let's say he was born in Kenya, as crazy people want to claim. So?
1. His momma was an American Citizen. Back then, born to a citizen, you are a citizen.
2. If #1 is true, he would have been a resident of the United States for MORE than 14 years.
Case closed. Stop looking for the birth certificate; it doesn't matter.
And look out. Arnold Schwarnegger could be next.
Starting tomorrow, I'm going to continue this little series with posting the different Amendments to the Constitution. I'm just going to post them and leave them to you to determine what this means. Of course, I'll probably be unable to resist giving the IMHO post as well; put let's just see what all the fuss is about in this crazy little country.
Man, I jumped in with both feet, didn't I?

0 comments:

Go On... Be Brave

Contact